6 Cocktails You Can Make And Ace At Home
by Rebecca Dono
Cocktails are the ideal solution to almost anything and everything. Whether you’ve had a long day at work, need a catch up with the girls, are celebrating submitting that essay or just need cheering up, cocktails are ideal!
Yet what isn't ideal is their price tag. And for those nights where you're not feeling the club, here's my guide to how to make and ace six of my fave alcoholic cocktails (and some virgin alternatives) from the comfort of your own home. All you need are your BFFs...
First of all when it comes to equipment, you don’t need all the flash stuff to make them. A glass and spoon is fine - but of course, feel free to use any cocktail-making apparatus you may own!
Now let’s start this top six with a really simple, tasty classic:
1. Porn Star MartiniNow for starters, it’s the porn star martini. This is a great drink to make for the start of your night - it’s not strong and has a really nice sweet taste. Simply add a shot of vanilla vodka to the juice, a squeeze of lime and stir.
• 2.5cl Passionfruit Juice
• 1cl Lime Juice
• 3.5cl Vanilla Vodka or vodka and vanilla extract
Or for a virgin alternative, replace the vodka with more passionfruit juice, vanilla extract and some lemonade to add some fizz!
2. CosmopolitanFor my second cocktail, here’s a classy favourite - the cosmopolitan! This drink is great if you want to make some really classy looking cocktails without the fuss. Add Cointreau and vodka shots and then cranberry juice, lime and stir.
• 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice,
• 1 oz Cranberry juice,
• 1/2 oz Cointreau,
• 1 1/2 oz Vodka Citron or regular vodka and a squeeze of lemon
Or for a virgin alternative add cranberry juice, fresh lime juice and soda instead of the spirits and tastes just as good.
3. Piña ColadaNow it’s time for my personal favourite.. the piña colada! The perfect drink to get you in the holiday mood. There are two ways to make this, you can either use pineapple juice, white rum and coconut cream or just pineapple juice and coconut rum.
• 120ml pineapple juice
• 60ml white rum or coconut rum and no cream
• 60ml coconut cream
For a virgin alternative, just ditch the alcohol and add coconut cream!
4. Frozen Strawberry DaiquiriThis is a great drink for really hot, sunny days (that’s when we actually get one ) it’s almost like an alcoholic slush! You’ll need a blender, then add the ingredients and blitz. Simple!
• 4 fresh strawberries
• 2 tsp white sugar
• 35ml/1½fl oz white rum
• 1 tbsp strawberry liqueur
• 25ml/1fl oz lime juice
You can also easily make this as a virgin alternative by leaving the rum out or try adding lemonade to it to give it a fizzy taste!
5. Blue LagoonNext up is a blue lagoon- it's such a quick drink to prepare so this is a great one to make if you’re in a hurry and the taxi is outside. Simply add all your ingredients and mix with a spoon or stirrer and you're ready to hit the town!
• 50 ml (1 2/3 fl oz) vodka
• 25 ml (7/8 fl oz) blue Curacao
• 100 ml (3 1/3 fl oz) lemonade
For a virgin alternative, take away the vodka and add alcohol-free blue curacao to your lemonade!
6. Espresso MartiniNow this takes a bit of time to make but it’s a great one for coffee lovers or anyone who needs a bit of energy before you head out. Simply mix the liqueur to the coffee and then add the vodka and stir.
• 100ml vodka
• 50ml freshly brewed espresso coffee
• 50ml coffee liqueur
For a virgin alternative replace the vodka and coffee liquor with just regular cream and add ice so you have yourself a nice creamy iced coffee.