Signs You're Settling In Your Relationship
by Jess Jepson
Everyone knows you should never settle for anything less than you deserve. How many times in your life have you been told you can 'do better'? 'Better' than your last attempt, 'better' exam results, a 'better' outfit or most often, 'better' in your relationships.
Even though you KNOW you shouldn't settle for less, often after a spell of difficult dating disasters the fear of being alone kicks in and you cannot fathom the thought of having to start the dreaded single life all over again. But that DOESN’T mean you should settle for someone mediocre.
I mean, didn't we learn anything from Blair Waldorf? Your love is far too important to be wasted on someone who's just 'nice'. You need to find your Chuck Bass not settle for the Dan Humphrey's of the world.
1. There are more bad times than goodNow this one seems an obvious one, but it’s easily brushed off; you're genuinely unhappy. If you've been with your other half for quite some time now, you might just feel like this is the norm. It's not. You can be happy and you deserve to be. Don’t settle for less than you deserve.
2. Who are you?If you feel like you can’t be yourself in your relationship or have to act like someone you're not around them, chances are it's not right. If you're trying to force it it's not meant to be.
3. ‘It was a one off’‘It was a one off’, ‘he didn't mean it’, ‘this is the last chance’… You constantly tolerate his bad behaviour cos it's ‘just him' and you're used to it. You don’t have to be though.
4. Yawn…If you're no longer excited by the thought of your man and the butterflies are long gone and quite frankly, you’re bored. It’s time to let go and move on.
5. Negative’s normalYou talk more bad about them than good. They have more bad points than good. If you know the feeling, you know you’re settling.
6. Leave. Me. Alone.If you no longer miss your S/O, if spending time with him feels like a chore and you’re dreaming of some time alone, it’s probably not the right relationship for you.
7. Slate, slate, slateThey're forever criticising and putting you down. You’re one in a million and you’re other half is meant to lift you, not stomp all over you.
9. Green with envyYou envy your friends' perfect relationships. If you were happy and content in your own relationship, you wouldn’t be concerned by anyone else’s. Enough said.
10. You feel trappedIf you’re sticking around just because you feel trapped in your relationship, you NEED to get out. ASAP.
“Don't you dare shrink yourself for someone else's comfort”.
If you're scared of being single and only sticking with your man because you don't like the idea of being alone, you're settling for all the wrong reasons.
GIF source: Giphy